Monday, November 06, 2006

I thought there would be a game on ESPN...

I don't know that I will be able to post on Tuesday, so I'm writing in the 4th quarter during the game. I likely will add some thoughts during the week.

Is there nobody who can broadcast a football game on Monday night? I tuned in expecting to see the Raiders play the Seahawks. But there wasn't anything on but an interview and highlight show with some idiot named Tony Kornheiser.

The OL still is... well, not very good. But I've lost my faith in Andrew Walter. Tonight he showed a combination of skills ranging from Drew Bledsoe to Mark Wilson. He has no mobility and negates his quick release because he holds the ball too long. In order to avoid incompletions, he takes sacks. He has absolutely no sense of where the pocket is. Granted, with this OL whatever pocket exists is ragged, but the QB needs to find it none the less. Walter steps up, but he doesn't step up into anything and keeps moving without looking for someplace to unload the ball. He is not helping this OL. For some reason he decided this was his night to pass when the running game would have set the stage. I'd like to see Brooks get another shot.

This is not a Walsh problem. This is a bad QB problem. Walsh pulled out everything tonight - shotgun formations, screens, short passes, screens - Walter had all of it to use but used none of it effectively.

Moss is still dropping passes. I don't think it's lack of effort, he's just dropping passes.

One criticsm for Rob Ryan. Caveman, when you're confronted with a young running QB you need to employ a spy. The QB is going to run whenever he's unsure. You have to cut that lane off, discourage him from doing so and force him to throw or be sacked.

There will be no turn around this season. The best option for Shell is to keep on keeping on, and then find what tools become available in the off season. He will certainly have a good idea what he needs and the test for Shell will be whether or not he finds it. I think reintroducing Brooks would be a good idea. It might give us a chance to see if this offense can be more effective, and it might light a fire under Walter. If he is "the real deal" he'll respond to the pressure.

And one more thing... I've found that there are play action passes in this offense. It's just that, apparently, neither Walter nor Jordan know how to fake a hand off. So there are play action passes, they are just difficult to pick out. One of the crucial elements of the Gilman is that you have to sell the play action, and this is a skill that players learn early and often. Between Walter and Jordan - they couldn't sell a bottle of water to a man dying of thirst.

6 Comments:

Blogger TheFreakingPope said...

I never thought I'd say this, but I am leaning towards Aaron myself.

Walter is losing his grip on things.

I'd write more, but I honestly don't know what to say.

I still love this team, but I wish they would stop coming home late, drunk, and winless.

8:53 PM  
Blogger x said...

Pocket? What pocket? There isn't one to step up into with this sad sack of an offensive line (pun intended).

That said, a more mobile QB might help this team.

It's just sad that so many high draft choices went into this OL and evidently none of them can play.

Screens and faking hand offs (play action) are definitely two areas that need more practice time.

This was a winnable game with even an average offensive performance.

9:41 PM  
Blogger Raider Nate 75 said...

BR
I disagree that this is not Walsh's fault. It is basic football knowledge, that when your offensive line struggles with pass blocking, it is better developed by run blocking because it helps the offensive line with their footwork and speed off the ball.
To call for as many passes as he did, especially when Jordan was running all over the Hags'; was outright moronic. 13 carries by our running game all night, is not enough to set up the passing attack that he wanted to accomplish. Jordan alone, should've had 15-20 carries; not 9!
The problem I have with Walsh is this. Running an offense is like poker. You don't go "All-In," you make your opponent think you have nothing, make him go all in, and then throw down the Royal Flush. Walsh just goes in guns blazing. So what's the problem with that? His guns are pointed at his feet.
He said, "Defenses are like chicken, blah-blah-blah." I kind of agree with this. The only difference is the chicken is alive, and before you cook it, you have to corner it, and rip it's head off.
Last night was a horrible display of how to play offense. I woke my 1-year old daughter up screaming at the computer, because I was listening to it on NFL Radio. I anxiously awaiting to hear from Al Davis about this, and the thing I want to hear is, "Tom Walsh has been fired, and John Shoop is going to take over the duties of Offensive Coordinator."

7:36 AM  
Blogger Calico Jack said...

Raider Nate 75 -

I agree with your take 100%. I'm getting sick and tired of seeing the basic fundamentals of playcalling neglected each week.

There is no logical excuse for running the ball so infrequently in last night's game. None.

When you really think about it, Walsh's playcalling is crushing the offensive unit players spirit. Did you see the body language of A-Dub? Do you think the O-line would appreciate a few 3 step drops and more run plays called last night instead of getting completely humiliated last night on national t.v.?

Play to play, series to series, quater to quater, half to half ... Walsh just doesn't get it. He has no clue on the balance of playcalling, rhythm of the game, the adjustments in playcalling, what is working, what is not.

Perfect example last night. The Raiders finally got an offensive drive going by running the ball effectively with Jordan. What does Walsh do? Completely gets away from the run game that was working so well. Either he is stupid or is over analyzing situations.

After last night's debacle, I have reached my last straw with Walsh. No more. There isn't anything anyone call tell me that will change my mind.

9:26 AM  
Blogger x said...

No matter how bad your personnel and their performance on the field is, they still have their strengths and weaknesses. The Raider OL is definitely weak in pass protection.

A good Offensive Coordinator is supposed to play to his team's strengths (e.g. running the ball, getting quick passes into the hands of his big receivers - Moss, Curry, Porter). Mayor Walsh is just not doing that. It almost seems he is purposely playing into the defense's hands with his calls.

What was up with that nutty shovel pass on third and one in the 3rd qtr? And not going for it on 4th?

Someone said Walter is given two plays each down - one a pass, the other a run. Can this be confirmed? This is the only reason I can see for the crazy calls....Walter neglecting the run for the pass. I seriously doubt it though, considering the beating he was taking every time he dropped back.

In keeping with the spirit of election day, I vote to fire Walsh.

Something drastic has to be done.

12:59 PM  
Blogger Calico Jack said...

X -

I also have my doubts about whether or not AW is getting 1 run play and 1 pass play from Walsh. I wouldn't be suprised if AW on ocassion, in certain circumstances, is given 1 run play and 1 pass play but not on a snap by snap basis.

From what I have read and heard and seen, AW & the offensive unit are struggling with clock issues due to spitting out just 1 play in the huddle let alone 2. I have heard about Walsh's long, 20 word terminology for 1 single play which leads me to believe that there is no way AW could spit out 40 words.

1:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home